Jelly slice, just like you had it growing up, deliciously sweet, with a crumbly base and no bake! Quick to make, with simple easy steps, this slice will become a favourite for desserts and afternoon tea. Being no bake, it's perfect for summer treats. This classic Australian jelly slice is perfect for parties, and celebrations and awesome for making in advance.
Why you're going to love this recipe
Being no-bake, this is the perfect jelly slice! Easy to make, this sweet treat recipe is fun for making with the kids. Here's why you're going to love this recipe
- cheesecake base
- perfect creamy layer
- topped with delicious jelly
- made in the fridge
- the easiest way to make it
- can be frozen
- easy to cut into big or small squares
- classic Australian treat
- base has loads of flavour
- a birthday party staple
What goes into the recipe
make sure to scroll to the recipe card for quantities and full method
- hobnob biscuits- or digestive, or whatever plain sweet biscuits you prefer, marie biscuits are also a good choice
- butter- unsalted butter is best for this recipe
- brown sugar- to sweeten the base and keep it all stuck together
- desiccated coconut- to give extra flavour to the base
- cinnamon- for sweetness
- sweetened condensed milk- to make the cream layer
- vanilla extract- for flavour in the cream layer
- gelatine- gelatine powder is used to firm up the cream mixture
- lemon juice- to give the cream layer a cheesecake feel
- jelly packet- your choice of jelly flavour, but I really like the pink/red, so raspberry jelly or strawberry are my go to flavours you could even use lime or purple, depending on the occasion!
How to make this recipe
- Put the biscuits into a food processor. If you don't have one, you can crush them using a rolling pin.
- Process until fine crumbs, then add the brown sugar, cinnamon, coconut and melted butter. Process until it comes together
- Press biscuit mixture into a lined tin (baking paper or a silicone liner) and refrigerate for ½ hour.
- Stir the vanilla into the condensed milk.
- Mix the gelatin with water. Sprinkle it on top, then whisk through.
- Add to the condensed milk.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour over the base.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Mix the jelly according to the packet directions but using 100mls less water (cold). Pour over the condensed milk layer and set in the fridge for 3 hours.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Make sure you press the base down really firmly!
- The cream layer MUST be set before pouring on the jelly.
- Bring the liquid jelly down to room temperature before pouring onto the slice.
It will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Yes! This easy jelly slice recipe freezes well! You can, freeze between layers of freezer paper so that it is easy to grab and go.
Ok, so this isn't tested, but coconut oil in the base, sweetened condensed coconut milk in the middle would be your best swaps.
More yummy slice recipes
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Jelly Slice Recipe
- 150 grams digestive biscuits broken up
- 80 grams brown sugar
- 30 grams desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 80 grams butter melted
- 395 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tsps gelatin
- 2 tbsps boiling water
- 150 mls lemon juice
- 1 pkt jelly crystals
- Break the biscuits into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until fine crumbs.
- Add the butter, cinnamon, sugar and coconut and process until it comes together.
- Press into the base of a lined slice tin (3.8cm (H) x 19.5cm (W) x 28.5cm (D)).
- Refrigerate for ½ hour.
- Combine the condensed milk and vanilla in a jug.
- Mix the gelatin into 2 tbsps of boiling water, whisk until combined.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into the condensed milk. Add the lemon juice, and mix well.
- Pour over the biscuit base and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Mix the jelly as per the packet instructions,but use 100mls less cold water. Cool to room temp.
- Pour over the cream layer and allow to set for 3hours or until it is set in the fridge.