This post was updated on September 5, 2017 to include new photos…this superhero pasta sauce deserves to look as good as it tastes as it is a favourite in our place! Jam packed with veggies- (did you know that 1/2 an onion is one serve of veggies?) this sauce is great to make and freeze too.
We also use it as a sauce on pizzas sometimes. If you’re looking for a yummy veggie filled pasta sauce to make on a weekday, this is it! Btw: I went to an event recently at which I found out that 1/2 an onion is one serve of veggies! Woohooo! I’d never thought of it that way before…and now I’m adding it to everything!
The name for this one came about because my daughter was convincing her brother to eat it, telling him he would turn into a superhero by eating superhero sauce. Needless to say, he didn’t turn into a superhero…but he did eat it all.
I’m rather amused by the superhero thing to be honest as I’ve never watched any with either child, but my son seems to know what they are and loves running around the house saving us all.
Just a note on the pancetta: it’s sold in slices or if you go to a deli or butcher then you can get a chunk from the roll. I just ask for 1 round about 2 cms thick.
This sauce was so scrummy that it was actually requested the next day as well! I’m calling that as a win. It tasted really sweet because of the red capsicum.
I guess the meaning of the name Superhero Sauce is two-fold, it also refers to all the fresh veggies used that make it special. Feel free to cram in even more veggies if you think you can get away with it.
You may also try to check out these other pasta sauce recipes I made just for you:
- Basil chicken pasta sauce (with spinach they won’t notice)
- Sausage and pea pasta sauce
- Cheesy chicken meatballs in cherry tomato pasta sauce
- 1 round of pancetta 2cms thick, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 zucchinis grated
- 3 fresh tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 tin of tomatoes, crushed
- 1 red capiscum, diced
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the pancetta and brown it.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the capsicum and fresh tomatoes and tinned tomatoes.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the grated veg and keep stirring.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and is shiny.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 40mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 2g