This is an updated post wth brand new pictures. These sweet potato and sweet corn fritters were one of my original posts way back in 2014 when I first started blogging and knew very little about blogging, taking photos or any of that jazz. So they needed a makeover.
You know something works when both the kids eat it and ask for more. That was exactly what happened with these little beauties! Tasted...with trepidation...then bam! Gone! Sweet potato and sweet corn fritters are great for convincing non veggie lovers...as they are handheld, orange and yummy.
They do take a bit of work, but you could double, triple even quadruple the recipe and freeze them. They are great reheated from the freezer in the oven at 180 degrees until warmed through- 10-15 minutes.
As for cooking the sweet potato, it's your choice....roast in the skin until it squashes, boil until soft in cubes, microwave, steam...up to you! The only important part is that they are soft. These would be an ideal finger food for bubs starting finger foods but are also great as a side or vegetarian lunch. Keep a stash in the freezer and you will never go hungry.
These sweet potato and sweet corn fritters are be ideal lunchbox fodder too- they are really quite yummy cold. Just remember to take out the night before and they will be good to go. As a dipping sauce, a tahini dressing would be good or even a sweet chilli sauce. Miss 4 has dipped these in greek yoghurt. If you love fritters, make sure you check out this post all about fritters for the lunchbox!
Sweet potato and sweet corn fritters
- 1 sweet potato cooked until soft
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 1 ear of corn kernels removed from the cob
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 1 egg
- Mash the sweet potato and set aside to cool
- Heat some oil in a medium pan and fry the leek until soft.
- Add to the sweet potato.
- Add the corn, flour and egg, mix until well combined
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan to medium heat.
- Working in batches, add tablespoons of the mix to the pan, squashing down a bit.
- Cook until golden, then flip and cook the other side.
- Drain on paper towel.