I've told you before, I have battles with the kids and fish. Normally it goes like this "What is that?" "it's fish" "NEEEEEEVEEEEEER". Or it used to. You see that was prior to the brainwave that forever shall be known as The Great Salmon Skewering when I realised that all things skewered are a darn side more attractive to a kid than their un skewered counterparts. In fact, I'm starting to think that (particularly with my pair) I could serve almost anything on a skewer and it would get greater love than anything not on a skewer. There's no more worries with salmon though as our skewering moment have led to a love of it! And this Tangy Glazed Salmon definitely hits the spot.
Before I had kids, I never really noticed how important a mariande was. Sure, I liked marinated meat and the flavour it gave to the meat as well as the tenderising properties, but I never truly noticed how it could impact on edibility. Kids eat with their eyes, noses and hands before it even gets to their mouth. So you have to appeal to all of those senses to get the food to the lips. One thing that is great about a marinade is that it adds visual appeal, normally an extra sheen or gloss, then it adds smell, usually the nice flavours make something smell tempting and then there is the fact that you needto lick your fingers when you touch the food! So it helps to get it in the mouth!
I played around with flavours for this one, and it works quite nicely, with the right balance of sweet yet tangy. The kids gobbled it all up without any prompting.
And don't forget to check out our facebook and instagram giveaway!
Tangy glazed salmon
- 3-4 salmon pieces i go for centre as they are all the same thickness
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 2 tbsps honey
- 2 tbsps chopped coriander
- juice of 2 limes
- zest of one lime
- ½ mirin
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and rest the salmon in it for 15 minutes.
- Heat a frypan over medium heat and place the marinated salmon in it after draining off the marinade (reserve).
- Cook the salmon until it reaches your desired degree of cooking.
- Re move from the pan.
- Pour the marinade back into the pan and boil quickly then coat the salmon in it.
- Serve with veggies!