Well, everything tastes better on a skewer. Everything. Whilst in Hawaii the kids became quite well acquainted with teriyaki chicken, so I thought perhaps…I could convince them of yakitori salmon. It worked. They ate 2 skewers each!
I noticed today at our local big name supermarket that they can marinate fish for you. I was a little disturbed to see it was shelf stable (i.e. not refrigerated) after opening. I asked for the list of ingredients and was shocked at the number of flavours and numbers! This marinade will ensure you never buy a bottle of marinade again! It’s so quick.
Yakitori salmon skewers
Yield 10 skewers
Yakitori Salmon Skewers
- 3 large pieces of salmon, (ideally you are looking for centre cuts as the tail cuts are too thin)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tsps fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 10 skewers (soaked for half hours before using) I used the smaller ones- I think they are 16cm
- Chop the salmon pieces into even sized cubes. Mine were about 2.5cms.
- Slide them on the skewers (3 per skewer)
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a jug.
- Pour over the skewers and rest them in the fridge for at least 20 minutes but up to 1/2 hour.
- Heat a frypan over medium/high heat.
- Cook the skewers in batches, basting as you go with the remaining marinade.
- Cook until coloured on all sides.
- Serve with rice and steamed veggies!
- Serves 2 adults and two kids.