This recipe for yakitori salmon skewers was first published in January 2015. I've given it a full refresh with schnazzy new photos.
It's Master 6's birthday today. He loves salmon, so I thought that there was no day better than today to remake these yakitori salmon skewers (he loves salmon). So I got some salmon and mixed up the marinade and got cooking.
We had some leftover fried rice, so I reheated that to go with it. And as always, some crunchy veggies.
I've done a few salmon recipes lately, these salmon panko bites are crunchy and delicious and we also love to make salmon sandwich sushi. It's such an important part of our diet as it helps us with our Omega 3 intake!
Here is the original content for the yakitori salmon skewers post:
My mini kidgredients don't really dig fish. But it's so important to include it in their diet, if only for expanding their tastebuds! So what to do?
Well, everything tastes better on a skewer. Everything. Whilst in Hawaii the kids became quite well acquainted with teriyaki chicken, so I thought perhaps...I could convince them of yakitori salmon. It worked. They ate 2 skewers each!
I noticed today at our local big name supermarket that they can marinate fish for you. I was a little disturbed to see it was shelf stable (i.e. not refrigerated) after opening. I asked for the list of ingredients and was shocked at the number of flavours and numbers!
This marinade will ensure you never buy a bottle of marinade again! It's so quick and easy to make and tastes sensational. You can also use salmon in a pack from the supermarket but you will need 2 packs- approx 600 grams. And make sure it is skin off! You might also like our Tangy glazed salmon or our Salmon Skewers with Orange Honey Mustard Glaze.
Yakitori salmon skewers
- 3 large pieces of salmon (ideally you are looking for centre cuts as the tail cuts are too thin)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 tsps fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 10 skewers soaked for half hours before using I used the smaller ones- I think they are 16cm
- Chop the salmon pieces into even sized cubes. Mine were about 2.5cms.
- Slide them on the skewers (3 per skewer)
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a jug.
- Pour over the skewers and rest them in the fridge for at least 20 minutes but up to ½ hour.
- Heat a frypan over medium/high heat.
- Cook the skewers in batches, basting as you go with the remaining marinade.
- Cook until coloured on all sides.
- Serve with rice and steamed veggies!
- Serves 2 adults and two kids.