So you want something sweet? Mr Kidgredients has been gone for two weeks for work…so I got groceries delivered the other night. And in those groceries…I got not one but two trays of KP Mangoes! So I’ve whipped up this tropical mango and passionfruit treat slice to welcome him home.
This isn’t healthy. It’s healthier than eating sugar out of the packet. But it’s a treat, you know, a sometimes food. Shoot me down, but it’s so very yummy! It makes at least 20 portions, or halve them again if there are kids around.
I have never bought sweetened condensed milk before. I actually bought it to try my hand at making dulce de leche. Not that making that would be any healthier than this! I’ve only added 3 tbsps of maple syrup to the base…but the top is very, very sweet.
I’m trying really hard to feel bad about it, but seriously, every now and then, this mama needs a straight up treat. And this one ticks all the boxes. If a fruity treat is for you, then this is simply delicious. Don’t try and eat it straight from the oven- the topping is best when chilled, so make sure it is given time to cool down in the fridge before trying it!
The combination of yummy tropical fruits is fabulous. You don’t have to use fresh mango in these, if frozen is all you’ve got, then roll with it! They will still be delicious. I haven’t tried freezing this, but I think it would be perfect frozen, as the topping would be almost like a mango weiss bar.
Try these some other recipes with some fruits in them that will surely be your kid’s favorite:
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- 100 grams butter, melted
- 395 gram tin of sweetened condensed milk
- pulp of one mango
- 3 tbsps passionfruit pulp, I used tinned
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius 355F
- Line a 20 by 20 cm square baking tin (or use a silicone one)
- Combine the flour, coconut and maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Pour in the butter and mix well.
- Press into the base of the baking tin.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until firm and golden.
- to make the topping, combine the mango pulp and condensed milk in a blender.
- Blitz until pureed and smooth.
- Stir through the passionfruit.
- Pour this mixture over the hot base of the slice and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until just firm.
- Cool on the bench for 10 then refrigerate until cold.
- Cut into bars and serve cold.
Serving Size:1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 144mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 15g Protein: 2g