When it comes to making stuff for the lunchbox, you literally can't go past the flavours of vegemite and cheese. These vegemite and cheese cauliflower fritters are fabulous for the lunchbox.
I have to admit, I can't eat vegemite on toast. When I was little it was something I was given whenever I had a tummy bug or an upset tummy, so I kind of associate it with that. But I do love it as a flavour booster, particularly in things like these fritters.
Sure, I could make just plain cauliflower and cheese fritters, but why be boring? The vegemite adds such yumminess to them. I really like the depth of flavour it adds.
While we are talking about fritters, they are such a great lunchbox addition. They are easy to make, freeze well and can accommodate whatever flavour the kids are currently into. Some our favourites are: sweet potato and apple, sweetcorn, and these chicken and halloumi ones!
How do you freeze vegemite and cheese cauliflower fritters?
Simple! I put them on a tray until they are solid and then transfer to a container. They can then be stacked together in a container and won't stick to each other. To defrost, either put them on a plate in the fridge overnight- then put them straight in the lunchbox, or if the weather is warm they can go directly into the lunchbox frozen and will defrost by lunchtime.
Top tips for making perfect fritters every time:
- Make sure your frypan is hot and the oil is hot before adding the fritter mix to the pan.
- Humidity can affect your batter, so if they are too moist, add a bit of flour- a tablespoon at a time and mix well.
- If they are too dry- add some water, a teaspoon at a time and mix well.
- Remove from the frypan and place on paper towel. That helps to absorb the oil and means they won't go soggy.
Vegemite and cheese cauliflower fritters
- 500 grams cauliflower florets
- 1 cup tasty cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegemite
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain flour
- Chop the cauliflower florets roughly with a knife, then cook until tender using your preferred method. (I have steamed them, or even cooked them in the microwave).
- Drain the caulifower and mash it with a potato masher, it doesn't need to be completely smashed.
- Add the cheese, egg, vegemite and flour and mix well to combine.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a frypan.
- Add tablespoons of the mixture to the pan and cook until golden 4-5 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towel.