It’s school holidays and the kids are sick. Of course. So I really need Master 4 to eat and anything wrapped in pastry entices him no end! So to cram in the veggies, I made these delicious veggie and rice pasties. Perfect for a winters day they would also be great party food.
So wrapping stuff in pastry makes it inherently more yummy, doesn’t it? Seriously, my little guy will almost eat anything wrapped in puff pastry. Except mushrooms, he won’t do mushrooms in pastry, so I thought I wouldn’t tempt fate today.
Anyway, I made 32 of these delicious little morsels…and there are only 5 left, so let’s just take that as “they are most definitely yummy! If you think your kids won’t be convinced…let me tell you what I’m working with today: one kid with a temp who has barely eaten for 2 days and one with a nasty cough… and they smashed these!
Really, as long as you keep to the ratios in the recipe, you basically can add whatever veggies you want. Omit the bacon for vegetarian pastries, and change the cheese for fetta for a saltier flavour. They really are versatile. You could swap the rice for quinoa if that floats your boat.
If you freeze these after cooking, they can be reheated in the oven or popped in a lunchbox cold. It just depends if your kids will eat cold pastry. Mine happily will. If you want to make bigger ones, do so, I did them little because I think they are less daunting that way, but double the triangle size and double the mixture, and they make a good adult lunch.
There are pastry flakes all over my loungeroom as I type because sometimes you have to let the kids eat wherever they will eat. And today was one of those days.
Here are my other two pasties which you can also try for the whole family to enjoy:
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 2 rashers bacon, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 head broccoli, florets only
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- milk for glazing
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees celsius (428 fahrenheit).
- Take out the pastry and allow to soften.
- Add the bacon and onion to a small saucepan and fry over medium heat until the onion is soft.
- Add the carrots and broccoli.
- Stir through the rice, cheese and broccoli.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut the pastry sheets into 8 triangles per sheet.
- Place 1.5 teaspoons of filling on each triangle and fold over to secure. Repeat until all 32 are done.
- Place on an oven tray and brush with milk.
- bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- Serve hot.
Serving Size:2 pasties
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 146mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 5g