Here's a salad you can make with the family mini foodie. It's really yummy and has a sweet, yet tart yet zesty flavour that goes really well with lots of things! Think chicken, bbq'd beef, fish (we've been eating it this week with hot smoked salmon) or whatever is on the menu this week. This zesty orange salad is fun to make. But the extra bonus with this recipe? It's part of an A-Z linkup for cooking with kids...so check out the other bloggers recipes!
To make this recipe with a mini foodie they will:
- squeeze juice from an orange
- zest an orange
- measure oil
- measure mustard
- mix a dressing together
- mix salad leaves
- chop cabbage
- chop orange
- chop radish
- make carrot ribbons with a peeler
- zest an orange
- peel an orange
The good thing about this salad is you as an adult can help with anything that is too tricky for your child. Miss 5 isn't particularly competent with a peeler (she peeled her thumb) and therefore needs more practice before she can make the carrot ribbons. She's quite good with her kiddie safe knife though and had no trouble cutting the cabbage, orange or radish.
What makes this salad special is all the colour! The purple savoy cabbage with the orange, the mustard seeds and the rocket makes for an explosion of colour on the plate, and it almost convinced Master 3 to try the salad.
Here are my other salad recipes for you to check out:
Zesty orange salad
- zest of one orange
- juice of one orange approx ¼ cup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp seeded mustard
- one orange peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large handfuls of rocket
- ¼ savoy cabbage chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced into ribbons with a peeler
- 2 small radish thinly sliced
- In a serving bowl, combine the rocket, cabbage, radish, orange chunks and carrots.
- Mix well together with your hands.
- In a jug combine the orange juice, olive oil, orange zest and mustard.
- Whisk together quickly to combine then pour over the salad.
- Serve immediately.