When it comes to easy weeknight dinners, you can’t go past a baked chicken enchilada, or two! These ones are packed with veggies and are easy to make. They also freeze well, so what have you got to lose?
I feel like I kind of have to explain that photo. There is only one baked. Why? Because, well, hubby was away for work and I cooked the rest at dinner time. It’s a recipe I’ve been making for a number of years, but I never remember to take photos! But that single cooked enchilada serves another purpose. I normally get them ready in advance…and bake just before dinner.
I love meals that I can break down into multiple steps and finish off at dinner time, they mean that dinner is quicker to get on the table and that means- less stress for mama bear!
I haven’t used refried beans in this dish for one simple reason: why used canned refried when you are effectively refrying them yourself in the pan? If you’re cooking for a crowd, you can easily double this recipe, it also freezes before baking perfectly, so you can freeze it in the tray you plan to bake it, pull it out and have it ready in no time!
We tend to do Taco Tuesday every week and this is one of our regulars. If you need more ideas for taco Tuesday, check out these posts:
Shredded beef carnitas with lime, slow cooker and pressure cooker method
Because not every Taco Tuesday has to contain tacos, it’s more about experimenting with flavours.
Don’t just take my word for it, these baked chicken enchiladas are awesome for dinner and because they are so well contained, they are great to bake and then have dinner in the backyard!
Baked chicken enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped into 2 cm dice
- 1/2 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsps taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 1 tin black beans, drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 8 tortillas
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Heat the olive oil in a frypan, fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Fry the chicken until golden.
- Add the capsicum and fry 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained black beans and beans and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the sour cream and grated cheese and mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture between 8 tortillas and roll up.
- Place in a baking dish and top with the tomato paste and grated cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
- Serve with guacamole and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 883 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 128mg Sodium: 1246mg Carbohydrates: 88g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 5g Protein: 52g