It’s Easter time, time to be merry and eats stacks of chocolate and then regret it later. So what better way to start the weekend of festivities than baking a few of these beauties? These chocolate zucchini cupcakes are the perfect healthier way to get a chocolatey fix.
The zucchini in these chocolate zucchini cupcakes makes them super moist and extra tasty. The wholemeal flour goes unnoticed in these because of just how soft they are. Catering for dairy free sweet cravings, these are sure to please even the best veggie detective. You’ve got to admit, there’s a lot to be said for fitting zucchini into a cupcake, it means you’re upped the veggie stakes for the day!
These chocolate zucchini cupcakes had the adults very impressed on our playdate this afternoon- which made me happy. Master 2 was also enthusiastic. Miss 4 on the other hand ate half then gave the rest to me, citing dislike, but she’s not normally a fan of eating a whole cake. Even Mr Kidgredients was impressed!
UPDATE: October 2016. It’s time for new photos and a therefore a new batch! It’s good to see that Master 4 and Miss 6 both love these and begged for them for an after dinner snack as well as for lunchboxes tomorrow. I halved the sugar this time in these, as I forgot to put in the coconut sugar. They tasted just as yummy!
Don’t ever underestimate the power of saying something is chocolate. Even if it isn’t. It works every time.
Chocolate (zucchini) cupcakes- dairy free
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup raw caster sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup wholemeal self raising flour
- ½ cup self raising flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a cupcake pan (or use a silicone one like me if you prefer them nude).
- Put the eggs, oil, vanilla, coconut sugar and raw sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Mix on low for 30 seconds then on high for 1 minute.
- Add the cacao, flours and mix for 30 seconds on low.
- Add the zucchini and coconut, mix briefly.
- Leave to sit in the bowl for 10 minutes.
- Mix to combine completely (you will notice the zucchini will have given off a fair bit of liquid, changing the texture of the mixture).
- Spoon into the cupcake tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes (cupcake size), then cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Makes 18 cupcakes.
- I made 12 cupcakes and 12 mini cupcakes (only need 15 minutes in the oven).