For Boxing Day I was told to bring nothing, but the desire to bake something got the better of me. I chose a chocolate cake off the internet. It wasn't the best cake I've ever made: a little too dry for my liking but it used the ingredients I had at hand...namely limited eggs.
When it came to frosting the cake though, I was well and truly stuck- two tablespoons of butter left- so my usual buttercream wasn't happening. So I raided the pantry and fridge and came up with nutella frosting that is definitely a keeper!
Now, this is not healthy food by any means. In fact, it is quite unhealthy! But it's a treat and sometimes you need a treat. The frosting was beyond any doubt amazing, as a sometimes food.
If you are a chocolate lover, then you will surely love these dessert recipes:
Cream cheese nutella frosting
- 250 gram block philadelphia cream cheese
- ¾ cup nutella
- 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 3 tbsps choco crispies mixed
- Mix all the frosting ingredients together for a few minutes with a spatula until combined.
- Transfer to an electric stand mixer and mix for 3 minutes on high speed.
- Spread over the top of your cooled cake, rising the icing to peaks if you feel so inclined with a fork.
- This makes enough frosting for the top of a 22cm cake and for sandwiching two layers of said cake together.
- Topping: Bake the hazelnuts at 180 degrees for ten minutes. Tip the hot hazelnuts into a teatowel and rub to remove the majority of the skins.Allow to cool then sprinkle over the cake.
- Fill the gaps with the choco crispies.