These Salmon Bites with panko crumbs are the yummiest way to enjoy salmon. So you need an awesome midweek meal? One that is filled with goodness, kidfriendly, easy to make, delicious and super quick to make? Then look no further! These crunchy, herby salmon panko bites are the bomb! They are also super yummy cold in the lunchbox.
Why you're going to love this recipe
- ready in only 20 minutes
- bite-sized- perfect for kids to eat with their fingers, or toddlers
- only 6 ingredients
- crunchy exterior
- quick and easy prep
- baked not fried
- salmon remains moist thanks to the mayonnaise
- Salmon is packed with Omega 3 oils. But that's not where it ends, 100 grams of salmon contains 42% of your daily protein requirements. Salmon also contains other essential nutrients: vitamin D, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium and selenium.
- healthier than fried fish and chips
What goes into the recipe
Make sure to scroll to recipe card for ingredient amounts and full method.
- salmon- try to choose centre cuts to get more even bites. It doesn't matter whether you use fresh or frozen (defrosted) and what brand.
- panko crumbs- these crumbs work so well in this recipe. If you don't have panko crumbs, cornflake crumbs work well too.
- mayonnaise- any mayonnaise you like will work well. I normally buy whole egg. It also works with aioli and herbed mayonnaise.
- parsley- fresh is best, but semi dried works too if that's all you have.
- thyme- fresh!
- olive oil spray- I just use normal olive oil in a spray bottle
How to make this recipe
- cube the salmon.
- Drop the salmon cubes into the mayonnaise
- coat well in the mayonnaise
- add the thyme and parsley to the panko crumbs.
- Coat the salmon in the panko crumbs.
- Place on an oven tray, and bake at 190º celsius (392F) for 15 minutes.
Expert Tips and FAQs
Any recipe that requires egg and flour for crumbing can be swapped for this technique. Mayonnaise acts as a binder and helps the salmon to retain any moisture that otherwise would be lost during cooking.
Whilst this recipe works really well with panko crumbs, they can also be swapped for cornflake crumbs, or other breadcrumbs of your choosing.
More Salmon recipes
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
- 2 x 300 grams fresh Tassal salmon fillets skin off
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Chop the salmon pieces into bite sized chunks.
- Coat the salmon pieces in mayonnaise.
- Combine the herbs and panko crumbs together in a large bowl.
- Dip each salmon piece into the panko mixture and roll into it to coat well.
- Place on a lined baking tray.
- Spray lightly with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes at 190 degrees.
- Serve with salad, veggies or roast potatoes.