Salmon skewers are such a winner! These salmon skewers with orange honey mustard glaze are set to become a family favourite. Quick and easy to make, they are perfect for a weeknight meal you can get sorted in no time at all.
Why you're going to love this recipe
Salmon is so great as a week night dinner as it is quick and easy to cook. Here's why this recipe is set to become a family favourite:
- sweet yet tangy glaze that kids love
- food on a skewer is so much fun
- quick to cook, only 5 minutes per side in a hot pan
- helping kids to get their essential Omega 3 intake
- the glaze helps to caramelise and crisp the outside
- perfect for adding more fish into the family meal plan
- pantry ingredients for the glaze
What goes into the recipe
don’t forget to scroll to the recipe card for quantities and the full method
- salmon- you will need three - four pieces, aim for centre cuts as they are wider. Approx 800 grams will feed 4 people. (Mine was frozen when I took this picture, but I defrosted it before marinating.
- seeded mustard- if you don't have seeded mustard, you can use dijon, but to be honest, the texture is much better with the seeded mustard.
How to make this recipe
- Put all the marinade ingredients in one bowl. (image 1)
- Mix well. (image 2)
- Chop the salmon into chunks. (image 3)
- Soak in the marinade for at least ½ hour (can be up to 12 hours). (image 4)
- thread the salmon onto soaked skewers. (image 5)
- cook in a hot grill pan (image 6)
- basting regularly (image 7)
Expert Tips and FAQs
The hardest thing about this recipe is ensuring you cook the salmon through, without overcooking it. It needs to be 63º celsius or 145ºF to be cooked through according to food safety guides. The best way to check is with a digital thermometer!
Soak them in water for a minimum of 30 minutes before using them.
Yes! I leave it to defrost in the fridge before using.
My kids love them with veggies! Otherwise, these sweet potato fries are perfect for making homemade fish and chips or serve them with some Asparagus, bean and broccoli green salad with goats cheese dressing for a change.
More fish recipes the family will love
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Orange and Mustard Honey Salmon Skewers
- 800 grams of salmon centre cuts- approx 3-4 pieces of salmon
- 2 tbsps wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- zest of an orange
- juice of an orange
- 2 tbsps honey
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes.
- Chop the salmon into 2.5 cm cubes.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a jug.
- Pour over the salmon skewers and marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge, turning a few times.
- Thread the pieces onto skewers, I do 4-5 chunks depending on thickness.
- Heat a frypan over medium heat.
- Cook the skewers until they are cooked to your preferred cooking, turning frequently and basting often with the marinade.
- Makes 10-12 skewers.