When it comes to creating yummy stuff for the lunchbox, you can’t go past these fetta, salami and capsicum savoury muffins. They are yummy, easy to make and freezer friendly, so perfect for baking for the lunchbox.
When it comes to muffins, I don’t do tricky, there is no need to cook ingredients first or even to cream anything like the butter because…muffins work best when they are thrown together and thrown in the oven.
Fetta, salami and capsicum are an awesome mix of flavours. They work so well together!
The flavour combo of these basically reminds me of pizza, my favourite pizza! Capsicum is not a favourite around here for the kids, but I find that the red and yellow varieties are sweeter and therefore less offensive to kids.
Speaking of offensive, if you don’t like salami, then these are just as yummy with bacon or prosciutto.
Why make savoury muffins?
I don’t love sandwiches, so for me, any option that is savoury and a lunchbox filler is awesome. Master 6 is the same, sandwiches aren’t his favourite thing. In fact when lunch contains a sandwich…more often than not it comes back home!
Use your favourite flavour combos, and make some savoury muffins! They have the added benefit of being freezer friendly and easy to defrost and store.
How do you freeze savoury muffins?
I freeze them as soon as they are cooled down. But first I refrigerate. Then I transfer to sealed containers. I don’t bother to individually wrap, if the container has a good seal it’s just a waste of plastics!
So what are you waiting for? Fetta, salami and capsicum savoury muffins a go and make school lunches just that bit more yummy!
What other flavours of savoury muffins are on the blog?
- Spinach, fetta and pesto muffins
- Pizza mini muffins
- Haloumi zucchini and mint muffins
- Carrot and cheese
- 60 grams danish salami, sliced and cut into strips
- 100 grams danish fetta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 red capsicum, cubed
- 1/2 tsp italian herbs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Combine the flour, milk, egg, olive oil and italian herbs in a bowl.
- Add the fetta, salami and capsicum and mix through.
- 3/4 fill a 12 hole muffin pan with the mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 339mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 4g