Crackers and I are good friends. The kids love them, they fill those: “BUT MUM I’M STAAAARVING” moments and they are fabulous in lunchboxes with or without cheese to go on top. These simple cheese mini crackers are perfect for little hands, little mouths and little snack containers. If your kids are keen on store bough processed cheese crackers, these are the perfect alternative.
The secret to these being really easy to roll out and also thin is the atta flour. It is a hard durum wheat flour which means it is strong flour, similar to “00” flour used in pasta making. It is the strength of the flour that means that the dough rolls quickly and easily when treated correctly without the need for flouring your surfaces or rolling pin. This in turn means the bickies don’t end up tasting overly floury, which is something I really don’t like in homemade crackers. You can buy atta flour in most larger supermarkets, it is primarily used in indian cooking, so if you don’t find it with the flour, check the indian food section. If you still can’t find it anywhere, I recently ordered it from Affordable Wholefoods.
These crackers are really cheesy and they will easily cut into whatever shapes you want. I went with little hearts, stars and teddy bear heads as I wanted them to fit in the yumbox mini snack! They were also the only cutters I could quickly find. If you’re keen to replace storebought bickies, you could use a funbites cutter to make heaps of little squares. You make about 100 in a batch if you keep them small.
I think one of the things that actually encourages my kids to try new things is when I present them in a cute way, so by cutting the crackers small and cute, they are more excited to try them.
You do need a food processor for this recipe and that’s what makes it so very easy. Once you’ve made them once, you won’t turn back.
Here are my other snacks I made that will surely be a hit to your kids:
- Simple healthier sweet biscuits- lunchbox perfect!
- Healthier ginger snaps the new snack fave!
- Crunchy 5 ingredient cheese crackers
Simple cheese mini crackers (100 in a batch)
- 1 cup atta flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup cheddar/tasty cheese grated
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add the cheese, butter, flour and salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Continue to blitz and add the milk gradually.
- When all the milk is mixed in, remove to a bowl and bring together to form a dough with your hands.
- Cover the bowl in cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on baking paper or a silicone mat until very thin (about 3mm is what you’re aiming for).
- Cut into shapes- I did stars, bears and hearts.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a lined tray. They will be golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.