I've been making these blueberry muffins for years. They are the fluffiest blueberry muffins ever! The light texture and the sweetness makes them super kid friendly.
What is the trick for fluffy muffins?
- Buttermilk- this by-product of butter making is amazing! It helps to make muffins super fluffy- and therefore delicious.
- Don't over mix- one of the biggest mistakes you can make with muffins is over mixing.
- Don't over bake- as long as a skewer comes out clean- then these are ready!
Can I freeze these muffins?
Of course! But, I have to say, they are their best straight off the cooling rack and may lose some of their fluffiness in the freezer!
What equipment do I need?
- a whisk
- large bowl
- non stick muffin pan (or use liners!)
How do I make the muffins?
- Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl
- Put the wet ingredients: vanilla, buttermilk, eggs, butter into a jug and whisk together
- Gradually add the wet ingredients being careful to not overmix
- Fold in the blueberries
- Spoon into a muffin pan and sprinkle with a little caster sugar
- Bake for 22-25 minutes
To make the equivalent (although buttermilk is even better and quite cheap!) take:
one cup of milk
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
Mix it together and leave to sit on the bench for 15 minutes.
Other blueberry ideas:
- these blueberry blender muffins are ideal for toddlers
- Baked blueberry yoghurt donuts are great for lunchboxes
- these pancakes are gorgeous for breakfast
- this gluten free blueberry cake is a stunning dessert
- or get up and go quickly in the morning with this blueberry smoothie
- what's not to love about blueberry and cashew icecream?
best fluffy blueberry muffins
- 2.5 cups self raising flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 tsps vanilla paste
- 185 grams fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsps caster sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In a jug, combine the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries and mix.
- Divide evenly into a 12 hole muffin pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.