We love tzatziki in our house. It has some of our favourite ingredients in it! It's great for dipping veggie sticks, crackers, bread and even as a sauce in giros.
It's a kid friendly dip with no nasties and big flavour!
Why you should make tzatziki
I won't buy it in a plastic container. It isn't meant to have a shelf life of months or even weeks. It is a fresh taste best eaten on the day you make it as it contains fresh ingredients that work amazingly together. And when it's this easy to prepare, why buy it with extra numbers, stabilisers, thickeners etc?
What are the benefits of yoghurt?
- protein- yoghurt is a fantastic source of vegetarian protein
- probiotics- for gut health
- a source of calcium- perfect for those growing bones
- iodine- needed for thyroid regulation
- potassium - for nerve and muscle function
- low calories
What should you look for when buying yoghurt?
Look for a quality pot set yoghurt. You are looking for greek yoghurt, not Greek-style. Some brands that are good in Australia- Jalna, Barambah organics, Chobani. You want no sweeteners, no thickeners and no preservatives. Or go full yo-yo and make your own! I detail how you can do that in this post.
Chunky dips for the win
Tzatziki by design is chunky. You can easily discern each of the elements...and that's perfect! If you are after a smooth dip, then this isn't one for you. If you love this one, you could also try our carrot tzatziki which is designed to take the pressure off dinner with after school snacking.
- good quality yoghurt
- 4 tbsps cut mint
- lemon juice, half a lemon will do
- cucumbers, two of them grated
Is this even a recipe? It's so simple!
- Chop the mint
- add the lemon juice to the mint
- add the grated cucumbers
- mix well
- add the yoghurt.....DONE!
Serve it with
- Lollipop lamb (don’t tell them they are filled with veggies!)
- Crunchy oat and sesame chicken strips
- Air fryer crumbed crunchy pasta
- Super easy 3 ingredient flatbreads, no rising!
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 2 medium lebanese cucumbers grated
- 4 tbsps chopped mint
- juice of half a lemon
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.