On Saturday night, I had a fair bit of time up my sleeve...so I decided to make these yummy zucchini and pea brown rice fritters to compliment the dinner we were having- bbq'd lamb chops. I love making things I can cook on the weekend and freeze for other times, like midweek when life gets busy. So in the interests of sneaking in a lot of veg (not really sneaking as it's all visible) I made these fritters.
I decided to try and make these fritters basically a one stop shot, like you don't need anything else to go with them. In fact, as a lunch these could be quite yummy with a light salad, because they have your grains, dairy and veggies already in them! As a side for dinner they are perfect too, as they are quick to make and easy to reheat.
Zucchini and pea brown rice fritters work well cold in the lunchbox too, so don't limit them to dinner. A while ago, my son wouldn't have touched these with a barge pole, because...green stuff, but he's a lot better with that now and tried one. He wasn't entirely convinced, but they were gobbled by my daughter.
Why bother with fritters? Well, I find their compactness and the fact that everything is on one little package, means the kids find it quicker to eat than eating each of the individual veggies and the rice and the cheese, meaning they spend less time, but eat more!
We love fritters and a quick search on the blog will turn up heaps for you, so if you think fritters are something that could work for your crew, have a look!
Fritters are always a big hit to your kids! Here are my other fritter recipes:
- Chicken, haloumi and kale fritters, 4 ingredients
- Cauliflower, broccoli and cheese fritters, 5 ingredients!
- Sweetcorn fritters
Zucchini and pea brown rice fritters
- ¾ cup brown rice uncooked, cooked makes 1.5 cups
- 3 zucchinis grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 100 grams fetta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 brown onion diced
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- olive oil for frying
- Cook the brown rice. Allow to cool a couple of minutes before combining with all the other ingredients except the olive oil.
- Mix everything together in a bowl until well combined.
- preheat a frypan over medium heat with a covering of olive oil.
- Batch fry tablespoons of the mixture until golden on each side (takes about 4 minutes per side)
- Drain on paper towel before serving with a lemon wedge.