Ok. Broccoslaw, with apple and a mustard mayo dressing. She's officially crazy, right? I mean look at the pictures, there isn't any broccoli in sight...go on look:
Yep, where is the broccoli? Well, what if I told you that the stem, the bit we normally chuck in the compost is just as good for you as the florets? And what if I told you that you can spiralise the stems and make a super awesome salad and the kids won't even know? And that it just tastes like coleslaw when it's got a dressing on it? If you wondering what I used the florets on...well, it was this beef and broccoli noodle dish.
Why bother with this? Well, I'm sick of the fact that I'm chucking the stem every time, there has to be a better way, apart from buying broccolini. This salad was made specifically to replace coleslaw and be eaten with the brisket that had been slow cooking for 18 hours...yum!
The flavours of this are super simple as is the method. If you don't have a spiraliser, I would suggest investing in one. They are super useful and you can find really compact ones, so if you're concerned about space, that's not an issue! I've used my paderno 5 blade for this salad, but I've also tried out the broccoli stem in the joseph jospeh one, and it works too. If you're not keen, then slicing thinly and julienning could work, but it's going to be much more time consuming.
This dressing isn't limited to this salad, use it on anything that needs a dressing, because the kids will love it! It's got just the right amount of sweet and salty and is perfect for making a creamy coleslaw.
Try these other side dish ideas I made:
- 5 ingredient super simple potato salad
- The only way to eat Brussels sprouts, bacon, leek and butter
- Zucchini and pea brown rice fritters
- 2 broccoli stems spiralised
- 1 apple cored and spiralised
- 2 carrots spiralised
- ¼ of a red cabbage sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon seeded mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Combine the spiralised and chopped veggies and fruit in a large bowl, mix well.
- Add the ingredients for the dressing to a jug and whisk.
- Add the dressing to the veggies and salad and serve.