Baking doesn't get any easier than this! This Chocolate Condensed Milk Cake will turn out amazingly every single time and is mixed in one bowl, no need for a mixer. It's gluten-free, nut free and easy to make dairy free. Ready in under 40 minutes, freezer friendly and perfect for the kids! It's fudgey, delicious and the perfect snack for afternoon tea or a lunchbox treat.
Why you're going to love this recipe
Everyone loves chocolate cake and this one is no exception!
- gluten free- but trust me, you wouldn't know it
- deliciously simple to make, mix in one bowl, bake and you're done
- freezer friendly, so ideal for lunchboxes and quick afternoon treats
- so easy the kids can make it
- perfect topped with fruit, or you could ice it
- holds up well in the lunchbox
- perfect for a birthday cake
- nut free
- easy to make dairy free- just see the FAQs and the recipe notes for ideas
What goes into the recipe
don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for quantities and full method
- condensed milk- this is the only sugar going into the recipe, and yes, it's a lot, but it makes 20 pieces of cake, and it's rich, dense and delicious, so just enjoy!
- vanilla paste- I use this in place of vanilla extract, as it gives a stromger flavour, but vanilla extract will work just as well.
- cocoa powder- quality matters! Try to buy the best one available. I look for ones that just contain cocoa powder. Some contain extra sugar and other things, but we don't need any of that in our cocoa powder. It is by nature darker and stronger in flavour than a hot chocolate mix, but that's what you need for baking.
- rice flour- this is brown rice flour. Mckenzies brand is readily available in our supermarkets (but it is white rice flour). It doesn't make any difference.
SUBSTITUTIONS: you can use coconut condensed milk instead of normal sweetened condensed milk and you can use coconut oil in place of butter. If you are making this recipe dairy free, double check your vanilla paste and also cocoa powder for dairy.
How to make this recipe
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk until all combined (it takes 1-2 minutes).
- Pour into a square 20cm cake tin (either silicone or lined). Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees celsius (355F) for 30 minutes.
Expert Tips and FAQs
This cake is super simple to make and can cater to different food allergies.
This cake is gluten free because many of my readers have requested gluten free cakes! By using rice flour instead of plain flour, this cake is gluten free. If you are making it for someone who is celiac then ensure that all other ingredients are also gluten free- like your cocoa powder and vanilla!
This condensed milk chocolate cake works really well when frozen and defrosted. It also holds up well in the lunchbox and can be reheated from frozen in the microwave for an indulgent treat with icecream!
Yes! I have, I have made it with condensed coconut milk and coconut oil in place of the butter and it
More delicious chocolate ideas
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Chocolate Condensed Milk Cake
- 4 eggs
- 390 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Preheat your oven to 180º (355F).
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk well until all combined.
- Pour into a 20cm lined or silicone cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then on wire rack.
- Cut into 20 squares.