Honey joys are a childhood and cake stall favourite. This version of healthier honey joys is DELICIOUS and they are so easy to make. You'll be wondering why you'd never made them before! They are the best way to use up corn flakes!
Why you're going to love this recipe
Honey joys just scream parties and fun, and this easy honey joys recipe is no different!
- quick and easy to make, only 10 minutes baking!
- simple ingredients, all from the pantry, only 6 of them!
- egg free, gluten free (depending on your cornflakes), dairy free
- great to make in advance (up to 7 days!)
- tasty and sweet
- easy to transport
- perfect for kids parties and birthday parties
- made in a muffin tray so they keep their shape
What goes into the recipe
don’t forget to scroll to the recipe card for quantities and the full method
- coconut sugar- it's got a lower GI than normal brown sugar but still gives that caramel flavour that we use brown sugar for. You can swap it for brown sugar if you prefer.
- coconut oil- keeps these dairy free. If that isn't a problem for you, you can use normal butter, the same amount.
- cornflakes- I used the gluten free ones available in the supermarket. Just use normal ones if you don't need these to be gluten free.
- sultanas- or raisins- you can swap them for cranberries if you prefer to make them a bit different
How to make this recipe
- Combine the sugar, honey, coconut oil in a small saucepan to melt over medium to low heat (you only need a small pot for this!) (image 1)
- Heat until frothy and combined (image 2)
- Combine the coconut, sultanas and cornflakes in a large bowl (image 3)
- Add the heated honey mixture to the dry ingredients (image 4)
- stir well to combine (Image 5)
- fill cupcake liners with the mixture, place in a muffin pan and bake for 10 minutes at 160º celsius (image 6)
- place on a wire rack to cool
Expert Tips and FAQs
Top tip- Make sure every honey joy gets some sultanas- they can tend to fall to the bottom of the bowl!
Honey joys stay crunchiest is you store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. They are great for making in advance for bake sales, parties or occasions when you need to bring a plate. If you need to transport them, do it in muffin tins!
Swap out the honey from rice malt syrup if you would like to make them vegan.
Nope sorry! The cornflakes lose textural integrity when frozen and defrosted. No-one wants soggy honey joys!
They are also known as honey crackles in australia!
More retro treats you will love
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Healthier Honey Joys
- 2 tbsps coconut oil (you can use butter if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (swap for brown sugar if you want to)
- 2 tbsps honey (rice malt syrup if you would like these to be vegan)
- 4 cups cornflakes (if you want these treats to be gluten free, buy gluten free cornflakes)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sultanas
- Preheat your oven to 150º degrees celsius.
- Combine the cornflakes, shredded coconut and sultanas in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan heat the sugar, honey and coconut oil until frothy.
- Add the hot ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into 15 cupcake patty papers, ensuring you get some sultanas in each one (they may have fallen to the bottom of the mix).
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool before eating. (some sultanas may blow up in the oven in size, but will deflate again once cool).