Fritters. They are such a great way to disguise veggies...but without entirely hiding them. They stay colourful so look interesting, but have all the goodness of veggies that wouldn't normally be eaten. I've found my kids love salty foods...and thankfully, fetta is salty, so it goes unnoticed. Otherwise, I can only imagine the stress if I offered it to them without being in the fritters. These spinach, carrot and fetta fritters were a winner- with Master 3 eating 3 of them!
I quickly blanched the baby spinach in these so I could chop it more finely, but if your kids don't mind it raw, you could include it uncooked. But let's be serious about these fritters for a moment...they are yummy...really really yummy, you might be wanting to reserve them all for yourself...in which case put the spinach in however you want!
These are the perfect side dish, but they are also lunchbox perfect! If you freeze them, take them out the night before and pop them in the lunch box, they will be awesome by lunchtime. They give an added boost of protein to lunchboxes and help up the veggie count. Miss 5 thinks they are really yummy and was really looking forward to her one today in the lunchbox.
But don't let the lunchbox and dinner sides be your only option for these...they are also scrummy as a brunch, either vegetarian as is or topped with crispy prosciutto and a poached egg!
Thinking of other recipes where you can add spinach? Check them out below:
- Star pizzas, made with spinach yoghurt dough
- Mini cheese and spinach savoury tarts
- Spiced lamb, fetta and spinach gozleme – the cheat’s version!
Spinach, carrot and fetta fritters
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 cups baby spinach- blanched and chopped finely
- 100 grams feta cheese crumbled
- water as needed about ¼ cup
- olive oil for frying
- Mix all the ingredients together except the oil.
- Preheat the olive oil for frying in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the oil and flatten slightly.
- Cook each fritter for 4 minutes each side, or until golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Freeze or serve hot or cold.