When it comes to cake, I love making loaves as you can freeze them in slices in the freezer. This vanilla passionfruit loaf is perfect for freezing. It's easy to make...all in one bowl then straight in a loaf pan!
This vanilla passionfruit loaf is no different. I don't have time for complex creaming of butter and stuff like that. I need stuff done. Quickly and without fuss.
When you make a loaf like this, you are setting yourself up for lunchbox treats for at least a week depending on how many lunches you are packing. I only pack sweet treats in the actual lunchbox, not recess so they go further because of that too.
Passionfruits have had a super late season this year, so there is now a glut of super juicy, extra sweet passionfruits all over australia that need to be eaten. That means they are cheap! And cheap means...let's get baking! We've been popping passionfruit in lunchboxes, and using them however we can.
The glaze for this is optional, you don't have to make it. But it takes a boring vanilla loaf to a whole new level. Yes, it contains sugar, but trust me, it's worth it. It also freezes well with the glaze.
Yoghurt makes baking so much more delicious as it adds an airiness to cakes and loaves. I use it in a lot of different types of baking and find that it makes a difference to all types of cakes. Some recipes that include yoghurt in baking are:
Super easy 3 ingredient flatbreads, no rising!
Coconut and lemon yoghurt loaf
Apple pie yoghurt dough scrolls
I make my own yoghurt, and it is actually much simpler than you probably think. You can check out my method for making yoghurt here.
Vanilla passionfruit loaf
- 1.5 cups self raising flour
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tsps vanilla paste
- 1 large passionfruit
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Combine all the loaf ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Pour into a loaf pan (either lined or silicone).
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Combine icing sugar and passionfruit and whisk to combine.
- Drizzle over the loaf. Allow to set.
- Cut into slices.