I get so many yoghurt questions that I’m going to write up my method for making perfect yoghurt every time at home. DIY yoghurt is very close to my heart- I know my kids are getting all the probiotics they need from yoghurt and they aren’t getting any additional sugars etc.
But first, let me clarify. You do not need to use easiyo/hansell sachets to make yoghurt at home. What you will need is a yoghurt maker of some description or even a slow cooker. You also need either: yoghurt cultures (I’m trialling some from Milkovation) or 3 tablespoons of good quality probiotic rich yoghurt.
I think the reason so many fear yoghurt making is because it involves bacteria, but as a cheesemaker, I’ve learnt that the only bacteria you need to fear is bad bacteria and you’ll only develop that if you don’t keep everything scrupulously clean. I wash my yoghurt maker insert in the dishwasher on a high heat.
If you’re thinking that there’s no way you’d ever make your own yoghurt…because you’re time poor…youghurt making takes three active minutes from you. Then 10 hours of staying at the one temperature and then you’re done. Beautiful creamy yoghurt!
If you’re looking for ways to flavour your yoghurt, try these 6 natural ways to flavour Greek yoghurt for kids. And if you’re not using yoghurt pouches for your yoghurt going in lunch boxes…here’s my article on why you should! Yoghut pouches 101.
- 1 litre of UHT milk, or use thermocook to get normal milk to 90 degrees then cool to 40 degrees
- Correct amount of culture for your milk
- 4 tbsps milk powder
- Place all of the ingredients in the thermocook with the chopping blade and select smoothie.
- Check that it has all mixed through.
- Put the lid on and set the temperature for 40 degrees with the burner intensity as 2.
- Leave for 10 hours.
- Alternatively, you can use the automatic yoghurt setting after the smoothie setting
Serving Size:A pocket full
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 103mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 7g