When life gives you oranges, you make...all the orange things! because fruit tastes best when it is local and in season. These orange choc chip food processor muffins are delicious- and you only end up with one mixing thing to clean- the food processor!
Kids love muffins!
I find not matter what fruit or veggies I use, I can always get the kids to eat it in muffin form. Now that my kids are older, I'm making full size muffins, but I used to make a lot of mini muffins, just for the lunchboxes.
Muffins don't have to be sugar packed to be yummy, these ones do contain sugar, but I've tried to lower it a lot. When baking with orange it's tricky because no matter how sweet the oranges are when you have them raw, they tend to become a bit more bitter in baking, so the sugar helps to compensate for that.
Oranges are so versatile
Whether you're baking, making juice or using them in savoury meals, oranges are fantastic, because they can be used in so many ways!
Here are some other orange recipes to get you using delicious oranges while they are in season:
- Jaffa cake- orange and chocolate cake with no extra refined sugar
- Orange poppyseed mini cakes with hidden chia, low sugar!
- Zesty orange salad
- Orange buttermilk pikelets
- Orange and Mustard Honey Salmon Skewers
Of course! Muffins freeze brilliantly and these orange choc chip food processor muffins are perfect for freezing! They defrost great in the lunchbox or can be defrosted overnight in the fridge.
What if I don't have a food processor?
If you have a high powered blender it will work, just make sure to stop it regularly and scrape the sides!
Orange choc chip food processor muffins
- 1 orange
- juice of one orange
- 115 grams butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups SRF
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup dark choc chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Chop the orange into 8 pieces for the food processor to cope better! Do not peel, just make sure it is washed well.
- Food process the orange with the orange juice for 30 seconds.
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.
- Processor for 1 minute more or until smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips to the mix and stir through.
- Pour into 12 cupcake/muffin moulds.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean.