The original post of this was written in February 2015 and so much has changed since then…mainly my photos! So I’ve updated this post on 28/9/2017 to have shiny new photos and giving it a new lease on life because these zucchini chippies are the bomb!
Master 2 used to eat zucchini. Then one day he decided, as toddlers do, that zucchini was quite obviously evil and was never going to be touched again. I get it into risotto by grating it and fried rice the same way, but on it’s own…it just isn’t happening right now. That is why the idea for these zucchini chippies had to work- green stuff isn’t so bad when it’s crunchy and yummy!
It wasn’t worth the argument. But he loves crunchy stuff. I think that is part of the issue with zucchini- it is just too soft and sloppy. If you want to make them even yummier, serve with a side of tzatziki, it works so well with the crunch and makes the flavour completely irresistible!
So tonight I decided to experiment and make some zucchini chippies that quite frankly even the most hardened zucchini hater couldn’t refuse. And he ate them. They are officially a keeper.
I know these are fried and I’m going to eventually try them baked…but I’m a little worried that they might just collapse and lose all their crunch. That’s a test for another day! If anyone decides to bake them, let me know how they turn out.
You may also they these other chippies ideas I posted:
- 3 zucchinis, cut into batons
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 egg, whisked with 1/2 a cup water added
- 1 tsp marjoram, or thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup olive oil
- Combine the breadcrumbs, cheeses and herbs together in a bowl.
- Preheat the oil in a frypan over a medium to high heat.
- Coat the zucchini batons one at a time in the semolina flour (this will help bind the breadcrumb mix to the zucchini).
- Dip the zucchini batons in the egg.
- Dip in the breadcrumb mix.
- Fry until golden on all sides.
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve hot.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573 Total Fat: 44g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 33g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 328mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 12g