So, we are back from holidays, I'll tell you more about our trip later in the week, but I've got a muffin recipe for you that just can't wait! Before we left, I stuck a punnet of blueberries in the freezer because myself and Miss 5 were sick so I didn't bother packing us snack boxes. And today I retrieved them and a miserable looking banana from the bench and made some banana and blueberry dairy and gluten free mini muffins.
If you're looking at the photos, you are probably thinking I'm crazy because I've included oats in the mini muffins. That's ok- I'll let you in on a little secret-I am slightly crazy, but in this case I'm right for including the oats! They are gloriously free uncontaminated oats (I was sent them to try- so a freebie- but the opinion of them is the same- to me they taste exactly like normal oats so feel feel to sub if you don't need gluten free). They can't label them as gluten free, but they are and you can read all about it at the link above. We have used them in a few different recipes and also had them as porridge. We aren't gluten free, but they taste great and I hope that someone will benefit from finding out about them!
Anyway, after I realised I had no flour these muffins became gluten free. And after realising I had no butter, well, they became dairy free as well. Then I decided to taste test them on Miss 5, who declared them to be the best ever muffins I've made, so I'm quite proud of that!
You don't need to freeze blueberries for the recipe- you could use frozen ones or fresh, doesn't matter. But you will need a smushy banana. You know- the one that the kids won't eat because it's brown? The one that maybe got dropped on the way in with the groceries whilst you juggled two kids and a flight of stairs....
If you're a fan of blueberry, then for sure you will also love these recipes below:
- Baked blueberry yoghurt donuts
- Blueberry no bake snack bites
- Blueberry banana bread, dairy free and refined sugar free!
Banana and blueberry gluten free and dairy free mini muffins
- 125 grams blueberries frozen or fresh
- 1 smushy banana
- 2 cups GF self raising flour
- ½ cup gloriously free oats or use quinoa flakes
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 4 tbsps coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Add the flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon to a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add the coconut oil, egg and water to a jug and stir together, whisking lightly.
- Add the wet to the dry, then the smushed banana and the blueberries. Mix well.
- Using a teaspoon, measure into the mini cupcake moulds (mine is silicone so I don't need to prep), it will fill 24 of them.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Freeze for easy grab and go lunchbox awesomeness!