These Baked Zucchini Fritters only contain 4 ingredients and you only need 25 minutes to get a batch made! Perfect for lunchboxes, a veggie breakfast, dinner side, or even in a burger. Quick and easy to mix and make, they are a great way to fill the freezer up with something yummy. They are also awesome used as a base for smoked salmon with a little creme fraiche. Make them in the air fryer or the oven!
Why you're going to love this recipe
Zucchini is our favourite summer vegetable as it is so versatile! You can add them to almost anything. I love doing stuffed zucchinis, and this is an awesome way to experience all the flavour of those, in a much quicker way. They have all the taste, but not all the work, which makes them a winner in my books. And I'm all about short cuts that help to make awesome delicious food.
Here's why you're going to love them
- one bowl mixing
- only four ingredients
- baked not fried with no added oil
- freezer friendly
- versatile: use them in lunchboxes, dinner sides, breakfast!
- flavourful thanks to the parmesan
What goes into the recipe
don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for amounts and full method
- zucchinis- these ones were big! You're looking at 600 grams of zucchinis. Whether that is 1!, 2 or 3 depends on your zucchinis.
Zucchini is such an awesome veggie, you can use it in so many ways! It doesn't have to be savoury like these haloumi, zucchini and mint mini muffins, zucchini can also be used in cookies, like these double choc zucchini cookies or even these delicious chocolate muffins.
It's the ultimate veggie for veggie smuggling as it has a soft texture and is easy to grate it basically takes on whatever flavour you put with it too, making it super adaptable.
- panko crumbs- I make no excuses about loving panko crumbs, they are fantastic, and useful in so many recipe. I love using them in Crunchy, herby salmon panko bites and in this Air fryer crumbed crunchy pasta.
- egg- I choose the use free range eggs, and these ones are labelled as "large".
- grated parmesan cheese- traditional and Italian paremesan cheese is not vegetarian. I use "parmesan style" cheese when cooking for vegetarians, as that ensures it is vegetarian.
How to make this recipe
Making this recipe is super simple! Let's get started!
- Grate the zucchinis. (Image 1)
- Place the grated zucchinis into a colander. (Image 2) Squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Discard the zucchini juice. (Image 3)
- Combine the bread crumbs, egg, parmesan cheese and drained grated zucchini in a large bowl. (Image 4)
- Mix well until all combined. (Image 5)
- Grab tablespoonfuls of the mixture and roll into patties, then smush slightly to flatten. (Image 6)
- Place the fritters onto a lined baking tray and bake at 180º celsius. (355F) for 20 minutes.
Air fryer cooking
These work really well in the air fryer and only take 10 minutes to cook through at 200º degrees celsius. They need to be spaced apart so they don't stick together and don't overload the airfryer, as you don't want them to stew rather than cook.
Expert Tips and FAQS
These are so easy to make, even the kids can help!
These are perfect as a dinner side, serve them with your favourite protein, or pop them cold into the lunchbox. They also freeze really well, so you can always have some ready to go in the freezer. Great for nights when it's too hot to cook with a salad.
Parmesan cheese is our favourite for things like these, but they are also very yummy with pecorino (which is a fantastic parmesan substitute that is much more common in Tuscany than anywhere else in Italy).You could try them with cheddar, I have, but I think the stronger cheeses make these more yummy!
You can but they won't be the same, and the idea of these fritters is to be slightly healthier because they aren't fried.
More zucchini ideas
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Baked Zucchini Fritters, only 4 ingredients!
- 600 grams zucchinis (this might be 1, or two, or 3!) weight is important for this
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (355f).
- Grate the zucchini and leave it to sit while you grate and measure the other ingredients.
- Squeeze whatever water you can from the zucchini.
- Add the ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Measure tablespoons of the mixture into you hand and squish to form fritter shapes.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. At 180 degrees celsius (355F)
- Cook at 200 degrees celsius for 10 minutes, making sure they all have room around them.
These fritters first went live in January 2018, and have been republished in august 2021 to include video, process shots and FAQs.