Winter veggies are so awesome! I’ve taken two of our favourites: cauliflower and broccoli and added some cheese- because um that’s a given and turned them into fritters. These cauliflower, broccoli and cheese fritters are kid approved and super yummy!
They basically taste like cauliflower and broccoli in cheese sauce…but in fritter form!
If you’re wondering why I make so many fritters (there are stacks on the blog)…well, it’s simple. They are so versatile, whether they are used for babyled weaning, or as a dinner side, stacked and topped or filled like a sandwich, there are just so many ways to use them. They also freeze well and are handy to have in the freezer for lunchboxes.
Life just got a bit more hectic around here, we have just brought home a golden retriever puppy, so I need to have as many things ready to go as I can! Otherwise mornings are going to be panicked as he needs to be fed, watered and potty-d and put back into his crate before I get the kids to school.
I love making fritters because they are also perfect for using up sad veggies! I always have the best intentions and buy lots of veggies, but then plans change and we don’t get through as many as I buy, so they get frittered. I have fritters on the blog for every appetite:
- haloumi and chicken and kale fritters
- zucchini and pea brown rice fritters
- apple and sweet potato fritters
- green veg and ham fritters
- and even baked zucchini fritters!
My top freezing tip: put them on a tray in the freezer until solid before transferring to zip lock bags or containers, because this helps them to stay separated. That makes them easy to grab and go for lunchboxes.
To be entirely honest, these are even nice as brunch. Smear these cauliflower, broccoli and cheese fritters with cream cheese and top with smoked salmon for a decadent treat. I reheat in a sandwich press if I’m short on time and want them hot, otherwise you can do them in the oven or even the fry pan or microwave.
And if you’re after more things you can make quickly and easily with only five ingredients (or less!) you could try these 5 ingredient strawberry scrolls or these 4 ingredient weetbix banana cinnamon cookies, both of which are perfect for the lunchbox!
Cauliflower, broccoli and cheese fritters
- 120 grams broccoli florets
- 250 grams cauliflower florets
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- oil of your choice
- Cook the broccoli and cauliflower using your preferred method.
- Using a fork, crush the cooked broccoli and cauliflowers florets.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Heat oil in frypan over medium heat or if nonstick you might be able to go without the oil.
- Drop tablespoonfuls on the mixture into the frypan and cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden.