When it comes to making salads for lunchboxes, or for dinner for that matter, I like to have a little fun. This Greek salad couscous does it exactly that, combining two of my favourite things: couscous and Greek Salad!
This salad is perfect when served with yummy lamb meatballs, or even as a dinner side.
Why is couscous so awesome?
It’s so quick. I don’t follow the packet instructions, because when I lived in Italy many years ago there was no stove in our apartment, and we made couscous in the room for lunch anyway!
How to make the perfect no fuss couscous:
- a heatproof bowl
- a fork
- and a way to boil water
- 1 cup of couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablsepoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- combine all ingredients in a heatproof bowl
- allow to sit for 5 minutes, then fork the grains until fluffy.
- allow to cool before using in the salad
What should I serve it with?
There are so many options on the blog, but I have first alert you to the fact that lamb and greek salad go together so well. When I went to the greek islands years ago, 90% of the stuff on the menu was lamb. So here are some awesome options to serve this delicious Greek Salad Couscous with:
But my kids hate salad!
This is something a lot of people say to me…and I have a solution. Make the couscous. Chop the salad ingredients, but don’t combine. Make the dressing and don’t put it on top. Give the control back to the kids and give them some of each of the elements so that they can combine….or not combine them at the table. And combine the rest for the adults.
It helps to make it a lot less daunting and means that you are one step closer to a salad eating family.
Double it for a bbq
This salad doubles easily and is perfect for taking to a bbq. If you need other options, our simple potato salad is a bbq winner, and this spiralised broccoslaw is a great subsitute for the every day coleslaw.
Greek salad couscous
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 to matoes diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 150 grams fetta cheese cubed
- 1 red onion thinly sliced (optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsps oregano
- To make the couscous, combine the couscous, boiling water, olive oil and salt in a heatproof bowl for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff the grains then set aside to cool.
- Add all the salad ingredients to the couscous.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jug and whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the entire salad and mix gently to get it through all of the salad.